Update on The Reefs of Time

I haven’t been present here much lately, and that’s partly because I’ve been focusing on my other writing, specifically the next Chaos Chronicles book, The Reefs of Time. I am without doubt leaving in ruins any previous record for length of time spent writing a new book. But I hit a marker recently when I finished the major part of the rewrite on Part 1 of the book. That might not sound like a lot of progress to you. But to me, it was huge. (Actually, I only figured out a couple of weeks ago that the book needs to have major parts to it.)

I’ve worked my way through a lot of places where the first draft had hand-waving and confident notes to myself that something would happen here, or that chapter would get fixed in the second draft. So far, I think it’s actually working out pretty well.

In July, by the way, I’ll be attending a several-day workshop called The Schrödinger Sessions, which was conceived for the purpose of teaching science fiction writers as much about quantum theory as can be crammed into three days. I can’t wait. As it happens, I’m invoking elements of quantum theory, especially quantum entanglement, in an important subplot of The Reefs of Time. Won’t it be great if I can actually get it right?

Besides, I want to find out what happens to that cat!

Google doodle of Schrödinger’s cat, dead and alive

Follow Jeffrey A. Carver:
Latest posts from

0 Responses

1. James

I am impatiently patiently waiting for the Reefs of Time. It's been a number of years since the last book in the series. 🙁

2. Jeffrey A. Carver

Me, too.

3. Steven Ferrara

Is this the last book of the series, or will there be more books after this one?

4. Jeffrey A. Carver

One more planned: The Masters of Shipworld.

5. Kwizikle

I love the chaos chronicals series. I like them so much I have re-read them 4 times now… I have developed a lot of theories about shipworld and especially the Mindaru.

Having started 40 years ago reading Asimov and PKD, amongst others, I find your books really well thought out. I can see why so much time is spent on rewrites and getting all to flow. Also a serious Star Trek fan who got married in first contact uniform, had ST vows and music. So far we have stayed together for as long as the space-time continuum remained stable…haha. Although wishing my wife could read my emotions like Antares!

And how did you get me hooked – your free Neptune Crossing. I thought that it's free and I will probably give up by the third chapter. I read the whole book in one sitting and immediately downloaded the rest… Great storytelling Mr Carver.

Whilst I am really hanging out for the final two books in the series, I shall just have to be patient…and if you want someone to proofread… ;).

Again thanks again…

Rob from down under.

6. Jeffrey A. Carver

Thanks very much, Rob! That kind of encouragement really helps!

Post your comment before you lose your train of thought. (Mine already left the station.)