Cooler than Cool

posted in: public affairs, space | 6

That’s the sight of the space shuttle Discovery on a back of a 747, flying past the Washington Monument, the U.S. Capitol, and the American flag on its way to its new home in the Smithsonian’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

(KEVIN LAMARQUE/REUTERS)

(MLADEN ANTONOV/AFP/Getty Images)

(MLADEN ANTONOV/AFP/Getty Images)

Two of the best collections of photos are here, on Yahoo News, and  here, on Mercury News.
It’s hard not to feel some sadness at the passing of an era. Those lumbering beasts of the sky served us for three decades. Three decades. How amazing is that?

6 Responses

1. Anonymous

The pick-up trucks of space.

– Marco

2. MaryA

"…the pick-up trucks of space"

Wait — wait! I'm envisioning an SF book cover . . . and hey! there's a big ol' yeller dog with rainbow-colored antennae instead of whiskers, and he's stickin' his head outa the passenger window, watchin' them meteors an' things zippin' by…

3. Jeffrey A. Carver

Well, sure, but…did you have to say "ol' yeller"? Don't you remember what happened to that dog???

4. Anonymous

Actually came up with that name when we visited NASA's visitor center in Nov 2010. They have a full scale model there and my wife made some comment along the lines of how unsophisticated, untechnological, unfancy and unfuturistic it looked up close. I guess she was expecting something along the lines of the sleek spaceships you see in so many sci-fi movies and shows. My response is that it was for the most part 1970's and '80's technology she was looking at and it was basically just used for hauling stuff back and forth to space, like a pick-up truck. To which she agreed that it did look an awful lot like what you'd get if you combined a spaceship with an old farmers pick-up. – Marco

5. Anonymous

I love the pickup trucks of space. I'm so glad I got to see the shuttle take off once. I wish every American had had a chance to see it.

6. Jeffrey A. Carver

Amen to that. I think some future space pickup ought to have "F-150" painted on the nose.

Post your comment before you lose your train of thought. (Mine already left the station.)